nanog mailing list archives

Re: Operate until failure

From: Henry Yen <henry () AegisInfoSys com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:51:13 -0500

On Mon, Jan 08, 2001 at 09:58:07AM -0500, Paul Timmins wrote:
On 8 Jan 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:
I'm aware of a variety of proprietary software shutdown programs associated
with UPS vendors.  But I'm wondering do any "open standards" exist for
initiating soft shutdowns?
Almost all UPS's on the market twiddle with the DTR and RTS signals on the
serial port when a power failure or an imminent battery failure. You can
generally twiddle a pin on the serial cable to shut it off as well.
For APC smart UPS devices, people have reverse engineered the protocol to
communicate in smart mode and get battery voltages and the like. Do a
search for "linux UPS daemons APC" and you should find something of use
(since you will probably have to read the source code to figure out the
protocol, it helps if you know C)

And if you are running a late-model linux (preferably RedHat), you can
download APC's own "award-winning PowerChute Plus" software for linux from
their website.  It seems to be identical to PowerChutePlus running on
any other platforms, except that the interface is through X86.
--
Henry Yen                                       Aegis Information Systems, Inc.
Senior Systems Programmer                       Hicksville, New York