nanog mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Flash help needed

From: Sean Donelan <sean () donelan com>
Date: 9 Feb 2001 11:24:33 -0800

On Fri, 09 February 2001, Randy Bush wrote:
What is the MTBF for a microdrive exposed to a carrier-grade
environment?

and is it as good as when exposed to a reasonable environment?

True, as you know, a "carrier-grade environment" can be pretty
bad.  I might as well ask, What is the MTBF after being exposed
to the UPS shipping environment.

Historically, the reason why I've tried to keep rotating storage
media out of my critical POP equipment it requires too much
maintenance.  I'm old enough to remember routers with evil boot
floppies.

For non-critical stuff, like billing and accounting servers, rotating
media is fine (speaking as a network geek, not an accounting geek).

But maybe these microdrives are tough enough.  I'm open to changing
my mind.