nanog mailing list archives

Re: multi-homing fixes

From: Mark Radabaugh <mark () amplex net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 14:13:26 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, Leo Bicknell wrote:

While there is a great lack of clue in many locations, don't forget
the bean counters/marketing/sales.

In an outage, virtually all ISP's prioritize customer restoriation,
and sometimes the quality of the engineer working the incident by
the size of the circuit (which presumably translates into $$$'s,
but that's a whole different tarball).  Thus, one could conclude
that the lowest speed circuits get the "worst" service, and thus
those with the smallest bandwidth needs have the largest need to
multihome.

The interesting part is that when we were single homed a upstream outage
was a HUGE deal and generated very demanding calls to the upstreams
support staff.  Now when we loose an upstream it generates a shrug and a
phone call - so...

Multihomed customers generate LESS technical support rather than
more?  Maybe we should urge more people to multihome...

Mark