nanog mailing list archives

Re: multi-homing fixes

From: Daniel Hagerty <hag () linnaean org>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:49:47 -0400

From: Vijay Gill <vgill () vijaygill com>
Date: 23 Aug 2001 23:20:48 +0000

eg, say I am connected to two upstreams, I would like to still
continue reachability with the global net in case of failure of one of
the upstreams (as wide failure), or a failure of an upstream POP
(which happens to be the only one in my LATA) from one of the
providers.

    Take prefixes from both providers and use them.  Route your egress
traffic appropriately.

    My point wasn't that "there is no need to BGP multihome", but that
many seem to see this as the only way of achieving use of multiple
providers worth of pipe.  There are other alternatives, depending on
your application.