nanog mailing list archives

Re: Code Red 2 cleanup; reporting..

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 10:51:34 -0400

On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 02:11:21 PDT, Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>  said:

It started a service at port 80 for him (lucky guy), but he had definitely
not started IIS. In fact, it had that stupid default page up that I've
usually seen in past when some application is installed the "personal web
server" for an unsuspecting user. I'm a little tired, and suspect that I no

Aha.

I have been told that the *most* common reason for finding IIS on
a non-server install of NT or W2K is that although IIS is *NOT* installed
by default on non-server boxes, it *IS* installed if you are upgrading
and it finds traces of 'Personal Web Server'.

Would that explain what you're seeing?
--
                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst