nanog mailing list archives

Re: MPLS VPNs or not?

From: Scott Brim <sbrim () cisco com>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 10:38:21 +0100

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 06:55:09PM -0400, Craig Partridge apparently wrote:
There are three separate issues (at least) here, so let's tease them out:

* Current routing protocols don't do policy.  Very right and a known
  defect in IP routing (though in part, they don't do it because in
  the general case, policy is hard)

And policy-based routing everywhere is not scalable.  OK, we could argue
about the future, but I suspect that no matter how much power we give
router owners, they'll come up with policies that use it all.

* Per hop policy decisions can be made more effectively in MPLS than
  in IP.  Not true in theory unless you want to look very deep in
  the packet to identify the policy association, though it may be
  true in practice on certain current systems.

MPLS doesn't require per-hop policy decisions.  Policy decisions only
need to be made at the edge, re FEC inclusion.  Intelligence at the edge
etc.  Parallels with the diffserv model of classifying & marking packets
at the edge so you only need to look at PHBs in the middle.

* Instantiation of per-hop policy information via MPLS is more scalable
  than it would be in IP (not quite said above but an implied issue).
  Almost certainly not true (see above about general policy being hard
  being why IP doesn't do it).

Instantiation of per-hop policy in MPLS consists of forwarding by LSP,
except at the edge router.

..Scott (at the IETF)