nanog mailing list archives

Re: The Death of TCP/IP

From: "Wojtek Zlobicki" <wojtekz () idirect com>
Date: Sun, 5 Aug 2001 22:26:00 -0400

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roeland Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
To: "'Wojtek Zlobicki'" <wojtekz () idirect com>; <nanog () merit edu>
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 10:20 PM
Subject: RE: The Death of TCP/IP

From: Wojtek Zlobicki [mailto:wojtekz () idirect com]
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 3:09 PM

<RANT>

Nothing other than anti-Microsoft propaganda.  You cannot
blame Microsoft
for high market share.

But you can blame them for making Vbasic available to every email message
that wants to rape your system. Boy, what a brain-fart that was. It still
stinks. Repeat after me; nothing in an email message should be executable
without express and very deliberate operator intervention.

Agreed, BUT .... as stated by Cringley himself, Microsoft tailors their
software to the
populus.  Wow a software company listening to its users, what a travesty.

The main reason that *Nix hosts are  generally more
resilient to these type of worms is that it is less likely for a non
informed administrator to administer a *Nix sever.

False. A very large portion of the *nux machines are in this sad
condition.

False,  many popular exploits (such as those with BIND) are fixed/patched
much faster.
Now a really scarry worm would be one that exploits Apache.  I used *NIX and
not Linux for a reason.  Many UNIX boxes are much better secured.  Joe
Sixpack
that installs his favourite distro of Linux is just as vulnerable as a
windows users. I will give you
the fact that there are still many unsecure/unpatched boxes in both worlds.
It all comes
down to the poor management of Internet connected devices.  I am really
encouraged
by the new option of auto installing updates in Windows XP. It is sad that
such a well
publicized worm/bug is spreading so far (it made the front page of the
National Post here
in Canada).

If everyone that had a
IIS box available on the big I, installed all related
patches, worms like Code Red would never propagate very far.

Sure they would, you'd just never notice it. A *real* programmer would
have
started CodeRed out at the current Level III version.

Raw socket support in NOT a bad thing.  I wonder if Robert
Cringely and Steve Gibson are friends.

Now here, we agree.

"Say goodbye to TCP/IP and to anonymous connections of any
kind. Hello to
Hailstorm, tracking everything down to the last mile, and a more
business-friendly Internet with prioritized packet-handling. "

I've just been looking at Hailstorm, it sucks. Think "totalitarianism".
Think, re-enforcment of monopoly position.

</RANT>

I really encourage anyone with a tough skin, and looking for
a good laugh to
read this article.