nanog mailing list archives

RE: trapdoor.merit.edu and other impatient Postfix mailers everywhere (fwd)

From: Mitch Halmu <mitch () netside net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 21:18:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, John A. Tamplin wrote:

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Larry Sheldon wrote:

How do you think those references got there?  Could it be that enough
people requested it and asked how to do it with older versions of
sendmail that it was made an optional part of the standard configuration?

Probably not.

Can you say "bait and switch", boys and girls.

Right out of Mad Man Muntz's handbook.

As I recall, the first modifications to use RBL in sendmail were done
elsewhere, eventually a link was included on the sendmail site, and then
it was part of the configuration.

I can see you are bitter about the impact on your mailservers.  I am not
happy about the way it was done as well, but assuming it was malacious
seems excessive.

The modifications were done at Paul Vixie's specific request. So was
"best practices" RFC 2505. Any doubt about that? Read the articles:

http://www.dotcomeon.com/relay_default.html
http://www.dotcomeon.com/allman_sendmail_qa.html

Don't believe me. Believe the words of Paul Vixie and Eric Allman.

--Mitch
NetSide