nanog mailing list archives

Re: FIBER CUT: Dallas to West Coast

From: John Fraizer <nanog () Overkill EnterZone Net>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:47:28 -0400 (EDT)

On 29 Aug 2001, Sean Donelan wrote:

On Wed, 29 August 2001, Patrick Greenwell wrote:
On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Brian Whalen wrote:
Routing around the problem, what a concept.  More backup for the 2xt1 shop
to contimue doing it..

I'm still awaiting the list of providers that never have a circuit go
down. :-)

Every carrier has had a circuit go down.  The difference is the carrier's
response, in particular how well they keep their customers informed.

Like, don't lie to the (BGP) Customer.  They generally have already
researched the problem and will KNOW when you are.  I'd rather hear a "we
don't know yet" than have some first level NOC monkey make up some story
filled with buzzwords he's heard from upper level NOC monkeys perviously
or to have them blame Tier-1 Carrier-X when from the outside world, I can
reach _ALL_ of Tier-1 Carrier-X's other customers served from the same
POP.

---
John Fraizer
EnterZone, Inc