nanog mailing list archives

Re: solar flares effecting anyone else?

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 00:21:32 -0400

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 12:07:01AM -0400, John Todd wrote:
At 4:45 PM -0400 4/11/01, Jim Mercer wrote:
i've got an E1 circuit that goes:

Toronto -> Amsterdam (fiber)
Amsterdam -> Islamabad (satelite)
Islamabad -> Karachi (fiber)

for the last couple days, my router has been seeing an abnormally high number
of "carrier transitions".

Were you asking about satellite or terrestrial issues?  It's very
difficult to determine from your comments if you think that this is a
satellite or "other" issue (I'll assume you know it's not the fiber.)

my apologies, i should havc pointed at the satelite link.

however, i have heard of solar flares being respnsible for various
communications and electrical interference.

i used to manage a circuit to the canadian arctic, which was (as i was told)
sensitive to "sun spots".

there was also an incident where quebec hydro had some serious failure that
was blamed on solar activity.

But none of this matters, since we all know that the Internet was
designed to be hit by nuuuucleahr bombs and keep on workin', right?
What's a few billion trillion electrons to the Internet?

actually, the link is still "workin'", however, due to routing flaps every
5 minutes or so, the customer has a different opinion on "workin'".

considering this started happening in the last couple days, without any
configuration or hardware changes, i was looking for explanations.

BTW: the circuit provider has found an abnormal number of CRC errors, and
is going to run some end-to-end tests when we can coordinate a time.

--
[ Jim Mercer          jim () pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis ca ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]