nanog mailing list archives

Re: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

From: "David R. Conrad" <David.Conrad () nominum com>
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2000 13:50:58 -0700

When IPv6 offers something end users or ISPs value over IPv4+NAT.
Hah, interesting thought! :-)  Perhaps we should push for people to
use the IPv4+NAT kludge,

A very large number of folks are using IPv4+NAT now, mostly without
complaint (or even awareness).  I use it myself quite frequently.  In a
limited (albeit typical) mode of communication, NAT works just fine.
IPv6, on the other hand, does NOT work for the vast majority of people
on the Internet.

Two seperately NAT'ed hosts don't communicate enough today for
more than a "priviledge few" to discover all the issues with it.

You are expecting people who have been trained to expect to have to
reboot periodically and/or reinstall entire operating systems when they
have problems to get annoyed when they have difficulties trying to
communicate to a remote site because of NAT?  If/when folks run into
difficulties due to NAT, I suspect they'll just shrug their shoulders,
mumble something about broken web sites, and fine another
porn^H^H^H^Hcontent site that works.

Rgds,
-drc