nanog mailing list archives

RE: IPv6 allocatin (was Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting)

From: "Christian Kuhtz" <ck () arch bellsouth net>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 15:56:28 -0400

When, do you think, will IPv6 come someywhere close to being
significantly deployed?

When IPv6 offers something end users or ISPs value over IPv4+NAT.

Hah, interesting thought! :-)  Perhaps we should push for people to use the
IPv4+NAT kludge, which may turn around and fuel IPv6 deployment as people
discover the crippled functionality with widespread deployment.  Two seperately
NAT'ed hosts don't communicate enough today for more than a "priviledge few" to
discover all the issues with it.

Then again, I don't believe pain is the best way to induce change, but it does
seem to work remarkably efficient at times.

--
Christian Kuhtz, Sr. Network Architect              Architecture, BellSouth.net
<ck () arch bellsouth net> -wk, <ck () gnu org> -hm                       Atlanta, GA