nanog mailing list archives

RE: exponential route prefix growth, was: Re: The Cidr Report

From: "Aaron Moreau-Cook" <aaronm () toothpick net>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 19:20:08 -0700

I'm tossing in my hat as a company who has recently multi-homed our
enterprise network. We would have preferred to receive a continous block,
/23 from ARIN. Unfortunatly they do not allocate smaller then a /20. We went
to our provider and tried to justify a /23. They rejected our claim, even
though our predicte growth puts us around 200 used IPs in a year. We ended
up getting only one /24. Then another upstream provider, quite large, forced
another /24 upon us. When we stated we didn't need/want it, they said they
could take it back but it was not standard practice; all DS3 customers get a
/24. Anyway... Think of all the other companies out there who get treated
like this?

Have you ever checked this URL out:

http://www.employees.org/~tbates/checkas.html, select "Print Full
Aggregation by AS Report." If you run this, almost 10,000 routes could be
aggregated. This is a 11% savings! I've ran across content providers who
have a /18, but announce them all as /24. That's 63 to many routes in my
table.

Minimum Savings:
- UUNet CA (816): 137
- AT&T (7018): 67
- UUNet (701): 66
- Sprint CA (3602): 56
- Qwest (209): 44
- Genuity (1): 40
- Level 3 (3356): 17

Has there ever been consideration to create a group/organization to monitor
these tables? Someone who can call these providers and enforce aggregation?

Just a thought? Perhaps ICANN, ARIN, or someone could establish a team
deticated to making sure the little guys don't get kicked out of the
multi-homed world.