nanog mailing list archives

Re: When IPv6 ... if ever?

From: Masataka Ohta <mohta () necom830 hpcl titech ac jp>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 22:10:25 +0859 ()

Charles and others;

As for the performance issue, can someone give me a pointer
to *INEXPENSIVE* NAT box which can operate at 100Mbps, or better,
1Gbps?

Inexpensive can be a pretty loose term.

Oops, sorry.

As you might know, with Ethernet, the cost of a 100Mbps OE is about $200,
pair of which will be used for each subscriber. (I'm overestimating the
cost of OE by not assuming a dedicated hardware)

So, a 100Mbps NAT box should costs $100 or, maybe, $200.

Actually, 100Mbps case is not very realistic, because of the management
cost.

A 1Gbps NAT box may be shared by 100 subscribers and may cost $10000
or, maybe, $20000.

I was asked by ISPs which are beginning to offer 100Mbps Ethernet service
to subscribers.

They probably have a little cash then...

They have little cash to be spent on equipments provided for each
subscriber and replaced two years later.

My guess is that there is none.

This product, while primarily a firewall, demonstrates that doing NAT and
firewalling (lots of shared code there, see IPFilter) on an ASIC makes for
a much cheaper solution than FW-1 on a big Sun Ultra-something...

Hmmmm, $109,000 seems to be too expensive.

Anyhow they claim lots of sessions:

Each subscriber won't need so many sessions.

                                                        Masataka Ohta