nanog mailing list archives

Re: Carnivore Update - Public Does Not Care

From: bob bownes <bownes () web9 com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 23:28:21 -0500

We were actually suprised that the good banks are pretty tight and without
real regulations that say exactly what to do. In technology reviews, we've
been asked about Van Eck sniffing, encrypting data while in RAM, and some
pretty impressive other stuff. Of course the bank is the one with the
money at stake.  What worries me, is my experience with corporate style IT
management tells me they only get that paranoid after being burned a few
times. Must have been some expensive lessons.  --Mike--

I think you'll find it varies from intitution to institution. Even the big guys
get sloppy.
While sitting in the back of a cab @ a stoplight in NYC, my 802.11 wireless card
lit up. I was able to browse quite a bit of a well known financial institution's
network before the light changed....

And back to on-topic, AutoWeek had a interesting article (column actually) this
week on Spam.