nanog mailing list archives

RE: Carnivore Update - Public Does Not Care

From: Quark Physics <meuon () highertech net>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 21:24:23 -0500 (EST)

5% - Hardware encryption, leased line, keys for hardware encryption
     and passwords delivered in seperate parts by different people
     after identity verification. No physical connections to gateway
     systems. (Federal Reserve, Chase Manhatten Bank...)

The unknown tier, many of them are banks where minimum security is a
regulatory thing. It's a part of doing business. I'm not sure, that if left
to their own devices, that they wouldn't join the majority in in their
apathy.

We were actually suprised that the good banks are pretty tight and without
real regulations that say exactly what to do. In technology reviews, we've
been asked about Van Eck sniffing, encrypting data while in RAM, and some
pretty impressive other stuff. Of course the bank is the one with the
money at stake.  What worries me, is my experience with corporate style IT
management tells me they only get that paranoid after being burned a few
times. Must have been some expensive lessons.  --Mike--