nanog mailing list archives

Re: ssh access to cisco and "unfriendlies"

From: "Stephen Sprunk" <ssprunk () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 05:09:27 -0600

Thus spake "Jim Mercer" <jim () reptiles org>
however, it is my understanding that IPSec will require 3des.  so,
while
i can have quasi-encrypted config access, i can't use the new and
improved
VPN technology without 3des.

Incorrect; IPsec allows for any encryption/hash algorithms to be used,
though certain ones (ie. DES and MD5?) are base requirements.

i received a number of replies indicating that i should "call my state
representative".

Actually, it would be your Congressional representatives, not your state
ones, assuming you were American.  The states do not have the power to
back out of a treaty.

as theo noticed, i am not in the US, so i don't have any
representation in
the US.

Neither do most of us living here :)

i understand that this is moreso a US government issue then something
cisco dreamed up.

Yes; the US govt believes that there are no competent programmers
outside of the US, therefore by restricting the export of encryption
technology, nobody else will have it.  Sure...

my concern here is not that i can't install a 3des capable router in a
restricted country.

my concern is that in my interpretation, i can't install a 3des
capable
router in Canada, if i am supplying "network services" to a restricted
country.

since i supply network services to "restricted" countries, i am not
allowed
to have 3des capability on my router, even if i need it for my
customers
who are not in "restricted" countries.

The way you paraphrased the statement, it appears that way; I doubt
that's how the official policy reads, however.  My recommendation is to
contact Cisco's Export Compliance & Regulatory Affairs group for
clarification.

You can find their contact information at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/matrix.html#contacts

having 3des on _my_ router in no way exports the capability to
customers unless they have 3des capability on their side.

That's a logical conclusion, but you know that lawyers and politicians
abhor logic.

having done work in several "restricted" countries, i am very cautious
about what i'm using with regards to US crypto export rules, as well
as
the crypto rules of the jurisdiction i'm going into.

with one client, we specifically denied a client's request for cisco
gear
because they were on the export list, and we moved forward using some
half-assed gear of canadian manufacture.

imagine my "suprise" (none really) when i got onsite and discovered a
number of ciscos installed by competitors.  (we eventually lost the
contract, and i'll note that the current supplier is using an all
cisco
network, inside and outside the "restricted" country.

"Restricted" in which sense?  There are only ten countries to which you
cannot export non-crypto Cisco products for non-military use.

Or are you saying you're aware of service providers shipping
strong-crypto products to crypto-restricted countries?

and my reading of the "agreement" is that it applies regardless if you
are
using the 3des gear directly with the countries in question or not.

I think that your situation merely requires more scrutiny before
approval; nearly every major provider does business in restricted
countries.

     |          |         Stephen Sprunk, K5SSS, CCIE #3723
    :|:        :|:        Network Design Consultant, GSOLE
   :|||:      :|||:       New office: RCDN2 in Richardson, TX
.:|||||||:..:|||||||:.    Email: ssprunk () cisco com
Not speaking for my employer; heck, not even speaking for myself.