nanog mailing list archives

Re: ssh access to cisco and "unfriendlies"

From: Jim Mercer <jim () reptiles org>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2000 12:06:02 -0500

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 05:53:11PM +0100, theo wrote:
however, it is my understanding that IPSec will require 3des.  so, while
i can have quasi-encrypted config access, i can't use the new and improved
VPN technology without 3des.

hmmm, I think you can still run ipsec tunnels with des only. But still
the argument counts that you are not using the latest encryption technology.

i have no interest in using the latest crypto gunge in "restricted" countries.

i would like to 3des enable my local (canadian) routers, so that i can use
3des with my canadian/US/UK customers.

i wonder if uunet/teleglobe/cable-and-wireless have gotten special
permission to run 3des capable routers on their networks.  i'm sure
that all three are supplying network services to countries not on
that list.

very good question. My interpretation of the licence agreement is that
they can do so in the "listed" countries *only* but not in the rest.

my interpretation is that they can't use it in their enterprise if they
are providing "network services" with countries _not_ listed.

I still don't understand though how others (some unix os for
example) ship 3des with public domain software.

my understanding is that the various unix OS's use crypto gunge that was
developed outside the US, or which the US has deemed ok-for-export.

there is another element, which was the patent on the RSA stuff, which has
now expired.

--
[ Jim Mercer                 jim () reptiles org              +1 416 410-5633 ]
[          Reptilian Research -- Longer Life through Colder Blood          ]