nanog mailing list archives

Re: [doable?] peer filtering (was Re: Trusting BGP sessions)

From: <gerald () merit edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:25:59 -0500 (EST)

Since Sprint and UUnet don't seem to be willing to provide information
in the IRR to allow us to generate access-lists/policies, and not
peering with these folks would be a Bad Idea(tm), so we can't quite
filter everyone. (If I could figure out a way to get them to register,
I'd have fun trying, though.)

so, the question is how to make registering irresistable?  peering
contract requirement?  peer pressure? :)

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has problems/suggestions/
criticisms/etc... with the current routing registry.  In particular,
it would be nice to hear from UUnet, Sprint and those people who
choose not to register in the IRR.

A few years ago the chief complaints were poor data integrity (ie, bogus/old
/stale data), authentication/security and under-participation
(ie, very few ISP's used the registry).  Yes, these are very serious
problems.

The data integrity problem I am guessing would still be the main
drawback people would cite.

We/Merit have worked hard over the last several years to address
the problems associated with the IRR and continue to do so.  We
are finally in a position to do something about the data integrity
problem and expect to implement RFC2725 (ie, RPS auth) by mid-2001
which should have a significant impact.

But things change over time and I would like to hear what people
think.  Criticisms, suggestions, ...?

--jerry winters (Merit)