nanog mailing list archives

Re: DoS attacks, NSPs unresponsiveness

From: Bill Fumerola <billf () chimesnet com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 02:49:43 -0500

On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 02:09:42AM -0500, Jeff Workman wrote:

This is the point where I would start questioning whether my business
relationship with this provider is such a wise idea, and also whether or
not this behavior is the provider's policy or just the network engineer on
duty's policy.  I pay for bandwith, and for my upstream to at *least* do a
little bit to protect my investment.  I understand that if I need more
than an ACL on my router interface that they will gladly (most
likely) sell me a managed firewall package but even without that, I expect
them to get the garbage off my pipe when I notice it.  I don't even expect
them to take proactive measures to keep it off my wire, but when I see it,
I expect something to be done about it.  If not, then I will let my money
do the talking elsewhere.

Turning off the circuit was the executive opinion, not the technical opinion,
of the provider.

Simply put: this customer who was shut off paid less then other people in the
building, so cutting their circuit made life easier for the provider.

--
Bill Fumerola - Lame Duck, BOFH     / Chimes, Inc.
                billf () chimesnet com / billf () FreeBSD org