nanog mailing list archives

RE: Fire protection in ISPs and collocation facilities

From: Roeland Meyer <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:17:35 -0800

There are a lot of non-fire reasons that I like the presence of an EPO
switch and I would design one in regardless. However, its requirement in the
fire-code makes the expense easier to justify. I design framerooms with many
smaller UPS's distributed throughout the racks, as opposed to a central pile
of batteries. As a result, I have gel cells everywhere. I usually use
Liebert GT's, every two racks, with power pod and interlock, at the bottom
of the rack.

Some of the non-fire reasons;
Ground-faults placing 120VAC on the rack frames.
Flooding event.
Data intrusion prevention (Emergency SCRAM).