nanog mailing list archives

RE: UUNet?

From: Andrew Lee <AndrewL () Pointshare com>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 12:03:16 -0700

What, you think its a coincidence that Tuesday morning there was a thread
started titled 'That pesky AS path corruption bug'?

;)

At 5/24/00 -0400, you wrote:

On Wed, 24 May 2000, Jeff Wheat wrote:

Does anyone know what happened on Monday? Seems like it
has been hushed
up as I can find no information about
it anywhere. Contacting UUNet results in them telling us
that their
legal department is working on a press release...

i just called UUnet, and basically asked nicely "what happened on
monday, around 5pm...?"

the support person looked at the logs for my links, and said
that they
appeared stable at that point.  i pressed a little more "don't you
have any network status reports for monday?  did someone trip over a
switch or something?"

he said, "oh yah monday!  someone nuked some routing tables, that's
right...like 50,000 customers were out, our call queue was crazy!"

the "phone-sex-voice" will get answers out of anybody. ;)

deeann m.m. mikula

When I called, they first said that there was a BGP peering
problem, and
the answers got more vague from then on.  I didn't try the
phone-sex-voice
though.  Maybe I'll do that today!!