nanog mailing list archives

Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

From: Vijay Gill <wrath () cs umbc edu>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 14:36:20 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Kai Schlichting wrote:

Insist on correct behavior, not on cruftery.

more conceivable and robust "ignore (log) corrupted message, continue
with regular operation" ? Given route flap dampening, dropping the BGP

Byzantine failures perhaps?  If I am getting some corrupt updates, how
confident am I that the rest of the updates are valid?  In any case, it
would appear that the process on the other side has some issues since
theoretically, a malformed update should never (for most values of never)
arrive.

session is hardly the desirable outcome here. On that note: under what
circumstances should or shouldn't the BGP session come back up without
mnual intervention?

A combination of bgp dampening and exponential backoff timing for retry on
sessions that were dropped because of an error should take care of the
rest.

/vijay