nanog mailing list archives

Re: That pesky AS path corruption bug...

From: Kai Schlichting <kai () pac-rim net>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 13:42:58 -0400

At Tuesday 01:26 PM 5/23/00 , Vijay Gill wrote:

This is a hack.  We do not need more cruft added on, rather, what we need
is correct behavior.  The correct behavior being - if you see a corrupt/ a
malformed update from a peer, send a notify and drop the session.  Seems
fairly simple to me.

The above suggestion of your fails in case of route servers.

Insist on correct behavior, not on cruftery.

...reading the host requirements RFC and its definition of the
robustness principle: Why was the behavior above chosen over the
more conceivable and robust "ignore (log) corrupted message, continue
with regular operation" ? Given route flap dampening, dropping the BGP
session is hardly the desirable outcome here. On that note: under
what circumstances should or shouldn't the BGP session come back up
without mnual intervention?

bye,Kai