nanog mailing list archives

RE: CIDR Report

From: wolfgang () whnet com (Wolfgang Henke)
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 10:15:45 -0700 (PDT)

In any case, I think the point is made that we can talk
all we want about how we want <insert router vendor
name here> to provide a truly high-end
router that solves everything, but the reality of the cost
pressure does need to be considered....

That is one major point, maybe the entire point.

This suggests a generally flatter architecture, maybe parallel.  Still
remember the supercomputer discussions a few years back when experts
argued if either KSR or Thinking Machines is going to be *the* big win?

And today when you need a lot of processing e.g. for rendering, you
simply stick a couple dozen Pentiums on a fast switched ethernet.