nanog mailing list archives

RE: CIDR Report

From: "Roeland Meyer (E-mail)" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 02:04:55 -0700

Vadim Antonov: Wednesday, May 17, 2000 12:32 AM

Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

Sure, *any* good router vendor can build a router that can
handle 100 million
routing table entries.

Not.  The empirical evidence suggests that aggregate flap
rate is proportional
to the number of prefixes in RIB.  Now, when people talk
about route update
processing they tend to forget that IGP and routing table
updates are easy;
matching prefixes against routing policy filters is not.

I tend to agree, the numbers I threw around earleir were strictly
first-order approximations for raw sizes. Second-order would include
performance issues and algorithm requirements. I see that Vadim ihas
already arrived there.

I would say that a computing device capable of doing today's border
routing
policies at 1M updates per second is well into the realm of science
fiction.

The other item usually included at this level should be bandwidth
requirements. What is the size of an update, and how many Gbps load
would be generated, at a rate of 1M updates per second? (I don't have
the base quantity handy, would someone please provide?)

The questions are (a) can they do it for a pricetag
of under $2M, and (b) how many will they sell?

Why $2M? From price ranges in the current market, I would think that
they'd have to hit under $200K. Actually, I would have a difficult time
convincing clients of anything over an additional $60K. This gets back
to my earlier question, how many backbone routers are there (nearest
order of magnitude should suffice here)?

The question of profitability of cheese mining on the Moon is
irrelevant, because Moon isn't made from cheese.

Typical rough market guidelines are that development cost must be less
than 1% of total market size or the project is a non-starter,
business-wise. Typical costs for this sort of project are $1M to $3M,
over 8 months, with COGm at about $50 (relative to a minimum Number of
Goods sold [NOGs] and assuming that it is technically feasible).