nanog mailing list archives

Re: Alternative to BGP-4 for multihoming?

From: Patrick Evans <pre () pre org>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:54:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Pete Templin wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Marc Slemko wrote:

Saying "the clients's primary DNS" is misleading.  There is no way to know
what the "primary" DNS server is for a zone, and there may not even be
what is typically known as a primary.

What if it's a UUNet resold modem to a client of iAmerica - what server
gets used then?  We know that UUNet's DNS servers are likely to not be
located close (in net terms) to the client, and how do we know what DNS
servers are being assigned to the client?

User's machine contacts caching nameserver x to do a lookup.
Nameserver x contacts authoritative nameserver y, which then works out
where x is before returning an RR that's good for wherever x is.

If n isn't net.near to the user's machine, then something's a bit
weird. If part of a dialup ISP's internal network falls over, you
hardly want every single user's resolvers to fail!

Or what if my clients get assigned dns servers in 192.168.254/24?  Sounds
to me like it's not a valid geographic identifier.

I'd hope that nameserver would talk to the world with a real source
address, which y would then use to do a proximity test, rather than a
1918 address - at least it should if it actually wants to get a
response. What address the client-side interface uses is neither here
nor there.

--
Patrick Evans - Sysadmin, bran addict and couch potato
pre at pre dot org                     www.pre.org/pre