nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help (long)

From: Patrick Greenwell <patrick () cybernothing org>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:32:02 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Chris Brenton wrote:

Patrick Greenwell wrote:

Suddenly, the list got very, very quiet. In fact, since I posted that
message, there hasn't been a single post to the list. Emperically, this
suggests to me that while everyone is quick to spend countless
hours expressing an opinion on mailing lists, there is nobody willing to
invest in making this happen.

I recently because associated with a security group working out of
Dartmouth College. The focus of this group has not only been on internal
security but issues that effect the Internet as a whole. The group
already has a pretty good amount of funding. I could probably score
enough backing and office space for a NOC that could address the issues
that are being discussed. While I doubt I could raise the $50M someone
suggested earlier, I could probably come up with enough for equipment, a
small staff and to maintain a number of guru types on a consulting
basis.

I think it is an intersting idea, however I believe it somewhat misses the
point. While a "clearinghouse" is indeed a potentially useful entity, my
suggestion centers more around actually getting NOCs to talk to each other
and come up with a common approach to event handling.

My 100,000 foot view tells me the problem is not security, it is a lack
of communication between providers. Enable that, then a reasonable stab
can be made at semi-cohesive security alert notification.

My fear is that if we do not address these issues as a community,
government/law enforcement will eventually step in and try and take care
of it for us.

Absolutely correct. The infrastructure is beginning to generate far too
much revenue to be ignored anymore.

                               Patrick Greenwell
                       Earth is a single point of failure.