nanog mailing list archives

Re: Hi, we're from the government and we're here to help

From: Randy Bush <rbush () bainbridge verio net>
Date: Thu, 09 Mar 2000 16:01:53 -0800

The problem with initiatives that rely on voluntary participation by
organizations is that there are too many "trade secrets," "proprietary
technology" and even some bad blood to get things done.  Some people just
don't want to play nicely.  This is probably the biggest shortcoming of
the Internet and it's potential.  Everyone "cares" about security until
it's time to get their hands dirty and interact with others.

actually, in working with the other large providers, i have not found this
to be the case.  and most smallish folk seem cooperative.  it is usually the
middle sized folk who have not scaled to meet the problems, and occasionally
let things fall through the cracks.

randy