nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet FUD Abound

From: Scott Marcus <smarcus () genuity com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 19:30:46 -0400

At 18:16 07/26/2000 -0400, David Charlap wrote:
Sean Donelan wrote:
The Reuters article skips over some of the important qualifiers
in the Nature letter.  Read the entire letter on the Nature
website.  http://www.nature.com/

The conclusions are interesting, but I think missing a few pieces
of data.  Every major public NAP has had service affecting incidents,
and so far we have not seen the partioning effect Albert et al write
about.

I agree with Sean that the article itself is an interesting read. In fact,
I'd say it's better than I expected based on the Reuters report.  A key
conclusion -- that elimination of a random 2.5% of the routers of the
Internet would cause little harm, but elimination of the most central 2.5%
of the routers would at least triple the diameter of the network -- is
likely correct.  (Although I don't think we needed fancy mathematics to
tell us that.  ;^)

Sean, I don't think that they were arguing that EVERY failure would cause
this kind of collapse.  They were saying that a scale-free system might be
particularly vulnerable to a systematic attempt to cripple its most
critical elements.  A failure of a single public NAP is probably well below
that threshhold.

... and David Charlap wrote:
Note also that the graph they examine is one of web pages linked to each
other.  Not the underlying network of fibers and routers...

Perhaps you read this too hastily?  They appear to have evaluated both.

Cheers,
- Scott