nanog mailing list archives

Re: Internet FUD Abound

From: Martin Cooper <mjc () cooper org uk>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 23:23:29 +0100

Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net> writes:

Just another subtle reminder that prefix-filtering (@ access and
inter-provider -- at least well-known address space) could have
a significant impact -- if/when this does occur.

Whilst I have no quarrel with the excellent positions
espoused by the likes of Paul Ferguson et al. about
ingress filtering of transit customers, or for that
matter similar positions on ingress prefix-filtering
of BGP customers, I wonder why it is that there is
not more support amongst the transit ISP fraternity
for the use of route-servers for implementing prefix-
filtering.

All I hear is, "But the routers aren't up to full
prefix-filtering; AS-path based filtering (if that)
is the best we can hope for" etc.

What were route-servers invented for if it wasn't
for implementing routing policy, and leaving core
routers to the job of advertising and accepting
prefixes according to local policy, and IP packet
forwarding?

Yes, I realise there are resiliancy issues to be
considered here...

M.