nanog mailing list archives

RE: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

From: "Dmitri Krioukov" <dima () dimension net>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 11:19:16 -0400

radware also had that rather original
triangle data flow mechanism i
mentioned. frankly speaking, i don't
know what happened to it. in its
intact form, it doesn't work anyway.
--
dima.

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-nanog () merit edu [mailto:owner-nanog () merit edu]On Behalf Of
Brantley Jones
Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2000 10:45 AM
To: Mike Diehn
Cc: nanog () merit edu
Subject: Re: LoadBalancing products: Foundry ServerIron

At 10:19 AM 7/6/2000 -0400, Mike Diehn wrote:
* Brantley Jones (bjones () redundant net) [07 05, 2000 22:30]:

At 09:28 PM 7/5/2000 -0400, you wrote:

they also have the dns based solution available on
serverirons.  -- dima.

Speaking of using a DNS proxy, does anybody know of anybody
else doing this besides Foundry??

Radware's WSD (Web Server Director) plays DNS server for clients
wanting to resolve a hostname to the IP of a close (from a network
latency perspective) server farm.

It isn't a DNS proxy, though.  It's acting as the authoritative
DNS server for specific hostnames delegated to it by the servers
authoritative for the parent zone.

Resonate does that, too.  And so does Cisco's global Director (I
think).

Is that what you were after?

Mike

Kind of.  What we're trying to do here is provide a back-up only approach
for Internet service via NAT and VRRP/HSRP at the customer premise.  The
problem is with people hosting applications on-site that require DNS
(www,MX,etc.).  Trying to avoid using BGP as a back-up mechanism in this
case (for obvious reasons), if I could find a product that could act as a
authoritative DNS with a TTL of 0 or something, and only send replies for
applications when the primary IP was down or unreachable, and then
statically NAT our address over to the primary address at the customer
premise, I think we could have a pretty good solution for
providing back-up
Internet service, including web, mail, etc. applications.  I will
definitely take a look at all the listed products and would appreciate
anyone's input on this matter.

Thanks!
Brantley