nanog mailing list archives

RE: "top secret" security does require blocking SSH

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 19:32:09 -0700

Actually, it isn't so hard. Northgrum.com has firewall, moat,
alligators, and free-fire kill-zone <g>. I will also never take
them on as a client again because of it. I just can't be
disconnected from my business in chunks of time that large. Oh
yeah, they also don't allow off-site work. Aerospace/DOD is
feeling the pinch though. But, this latest LLNL thing has really
caused them to think long and hard about some serious issues.

Yes, if there is any way to bypass the wall, including Xircom
CardBus (LAN port plugged into the LAN and modem port connected
to a Nokia 6185, via DLR3 datacable, dialed into an external
Internet server.) then covert ops are assured, as well as almost
undetectible. The only way to stop that is a  mil-grade PCS
jammer. The Nokia uses spread-spectrum so intercepts are very
difficult. I wonder if anyone has suggested this to the
investigators of the Nat labs?