nanog mailing list archives

Re: AS discovery tools / CAIDA

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2000 16:41:43 -0500 (EST)

Along these same lines, is there a tool to recursively determine how many
prefixes are being announced behind each AS, even for AS not directly
peered with and not directly terminating traffic? (numbers are only for
example)

For example:

1.1.1.0/24      AS 1 2 3 4 5 6
1.1.2.0/24      AS 10 2 3 4 11 12
1.1.3.0/24      AS 10 2 3 16 6
1.1.4.0/24      AS 15 6

Say AS 2 is a large regional European ISP that buys transit from AS 1 and
10 that may be in a region were we have a presence, but for some reason we
are not directly peering with them. I would like to figure out a way to
determine how much traffic we are passing through AS 2 in this example.

The only way I could think of it was aggregating netflow prefix data,
which seems horrible to me and doesn't handle a prefix where I am trying
to generate data for several ASes. And we can't just aggregate the sum of
AS2's customers because some of their customers are not announcing all of
their prefixes from the same connections.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Deepak Jain
AiNET