nanog mailing list archives

Re: whois broke again?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2000 03:28:45 -0500

On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 08:11:39 MST, Danny McPherson <danny () tcb net>  said:
Absolutely, unless assumming "us" == NANOG.  But that's between
each NSI customer and NSI, not NANOG and NSI.  And as an NSI
customer, once escalated to this level, it's something that I'd

Umm.. note that if NSI drops the Whois information regarding one
of their customers on the floor, that's between *me* and NSI,
not between NSI and the customer.

I at least *HOPE* that the majority of Whois queries are people
looking for contact information for *other* sites, rather than
paranoid "is my entry still OK?" queries.  If the latter, we have
a serious problem.  If the former, it's *still* not between NSI
and the customer, because the customer who's info I'm trying to find
doesn't *know* that I'm unable to find it.  And if I had the info
so I could tell them... I wouldn't be looking in Whois in the first place.

Also, note that "between each customer and NSI" is exactly the sort
of reason why the concept of a class action lawsuit exists.  I'm not
saying one is needed, just mentioning the logic behind it....

                                Valdis Kletnieks
                                Operating Systems Analyst
                                Virginia Tech