nanog mailing list archives

Re: g.root-servers.net returns NXDOMAIN for com.

From: Mark Milhollan <mlm () ftel net>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2000 09:25:22 -0700

Michael Shields writes:

In article <27673.965401287 () ftel net>,
Mark Milhollan <mlm () ftel net> wrote:

This is why BIND 8 has the bogus characteristic, or why one may need to
edit their root hint file.  Too bad both require a reload/restart.

As well as manual configuration at every resolver on earth.  I don't
think that's a scalable solution.  The root servers need to work.

Neither do I believe it is scalable, but it's what BIND has available.
More to the point, the reason for the bogus characteristic, as I read
the documentation, is that without it it's impossible to correct this
kind of situation -- scalable or not -- if a nameserver's operation
cannot be corrected.