nanog mailing list archives

Re: ARIN Policy on IP-based Web Hosting

From: Deepak Jain <deepak () ai net>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 18:09:11 -0400 (EDT)

Why can't they use those apps through NAT? I do it from home quite often.

Deepak Jain
AiNET

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000, Shawn McMahon wrote:

On Thu, Aug 31, 2000 at 03:59:16PM -0400, Deepak Jain wrote:

This is not meant at anyone personally, its just something I noticed.

When we are deciding that IP savings, etc are worth it, why not make all
Cable/DSL/Dialup providers use NAT to map access logins to a small pool of
IPs too?

Because that only works if none of your customers want to access their home
boxes from outside in any way, and if none of their applications require a return
channel.

Telling your customers they can't telnet, ssh, or VNC into their home boxes
costs you all your *nix users, and telling them they can't use Napster costs
you all your Windows users.

The few Mac users you have left don't keep you profitable.  :-)