nanog mailing list archives

Re: Community NO-EXPORT

From: Jeff Haas <jeffhaas () merit edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:17:34 -0400

On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 09:55:59AM -0700, Bradley Dunn wrote:
On Wed, Aug 23, 2000 at 10:03:21AM -0400, Kai Schlichting wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a synchronization issue here
as well? E.g.: AS2 is transit provider, probably has bgp synchronization
on (default), and will only propagate routes to other AS's that have
made it into their IGP. The question then is: have all 3 routes made
it into AS2's IGP successfully? Only if the answer is yes, will it
actually propagate that /16.

Synchronization is almost universally disabled in the real world.

Color me confused, but isn't the synchronization waiting on the
NEXT_HOPs showing up in your IGP, not the actual BGP route?

After all, the issue is this:

BR-A - (your internal network) - BR-B

A route shows up at BR-A with a nexthop of some interface on BR-A
(or the loopback interface of BR-A).  It is then propogated via
iBGP to BR-B.

It is only unsafe to install said route and propogate it BR-B's peers
if the route's nexthop is not reachable by BR-B.

This is a far cry from having to inject your BGP into your IGP.

I will note that this isn't how Cisco has it documented, and I don't know
how they actually treat the sync issue.  The documentation actually
says it does wait for the route to show up in the IGP.

None of the IGPs in use today would cope well with a full BGP
table redistributed into them. Redistribution of BGP->IGP is
rarely needed or advisable.

However, its a wonderful way to see the failure states of your router's
IGPs. :-)

--
Jeffrey Haas - Merit RSng project - jeffhaas () merit edu