nanog mailing list archives

Re: An example

From: Joe Provo - Network Architect <joe.provo () rcn com>
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 07:15:15 -0400

[see disclaimer header; affiliation for identification, not
representation; limited time offer; batteries not included; etc etc]

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 12:49:07AM -0700, Roeland M.J. Meyer wrote:
I post some negative messages about ORBS and RBL and look what
happens! Gee, isn't it co-incidental that my mailer is now
blocked?
[snip]
the action of a responsible anti-spam fanatic then it is an even
greater indictment of the entire RBL/ORBS  movement.
[snip]
But, this seriously indicates that this ORBS/RBL think is getting
way out of hand. Typical vigilante pattern.

I am behind in the thread, but all I saw was the rightful panning of
ORBS.  As usual, when this thread comes up, I'll point out that there is
a vast gulf of difference between whim-driven scanning (ORBS) and any of
the lists from *actual*abuse* (MAPS RBL and RSS) or volunteered
information from network mangers/direct observation (MAPS DUL).  See
http://mail-abuse.org/ for full details.

Regardless what any spammers, lunatics on usenet, or press-release-
and mailing-list-post-regurgitating so-called journalists think, there
is no connection between the two.  Do not lump them together, period.

Joe, saying all he will and pointing people to the archives for the last
     N iterations of this holy war.

--
Joe Provo                                            Voice  508.486.7471
Director, Internet Planning & Design                 Fax    508.229.2375