nanog mailing list archives

Re: ABOVE.NET SECURITY TRUTHS?

From: Bora Akyol <akyol () pluris com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 21:06:16 -0700

I don't think so.

There is even a port of ssh to the Palm Pilot.

In this day and age, I think that saying that encryption is expensive is a myth.

Even if it were, I think the security that it buys you is well worth it.

Also, most new(er) and high end routers out there should have more than enough
processing power to handle ssh, no? I know ours does.

Bora

"Steven M. Bellovin" wrote:
<<snip>>

As for the expense of ssh -- the big issue is login, when a lot of public
key operations are taking place.  But even output is rather expensive,
since it's doing a 3DES operation for each eight output bytes.  Worse
yet, if the output is passed to the sshd piece a byte at a time, it will
do a 3DES operation for each byte.  That almost certainly happens for
each keystroke, but most people don't type enough or fast enough for that
to be an issue.