nanog mailing list archives

RE: ICQ & AOL

From: "Roeland Meyer (E-mail)" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 11:55:09 -0700

I can't believe all the hate-mail I just got for this. I must have hit a real nerve. It was a sarcastic comment, folks
in EDU are seriously humor impaired. Doesn't anyone know what <grin>s are anymore?

What I meant was that blocking entire RIR block is the same as blocking entire TLDs, equally counter-productive. It may
be effective, but it is also tossing out babies with the bathwater. Cutting your Internet feed is equally effective. I
don't think that anyone here will do that in the near-future.

Even blocking large SLDs is questionable.

Roeland Meyer (E-mail)
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2000 10:17 AM

Not too far off. Many dot-com's routinely block *.edu. After
all, neither students or teachers, in the US, have money to
buy things with and CS students are the worst kind of
script-kiddee. <grin>

[students are always broke and teachers are chronically under-paid]