nanog mailing list archives

Age old DNS hack reappears

From: Simon Lockhart <simonl () rd bbc co uk>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:40:49 +0100

Had this reported to us, which I thought people might be interested in.
This had happened in .uk several years ago, which prompted a rule to
forbid sub-domains of .uk which are the same as a TLD.

It appears that someone has registered "uk.co.za" as a domain and is using
this to fake well-known domain names such as bbc.co.uk. What they have
done is created DNS entries for "bbc.co.uk.co.za" and
"news.bbc.co.uk.co.za" so that when someone types e.g. "news.bbc.co.uk" in
their browser the DNS lookup first finds the "local" site
"news.bbc.co.uk.co.za" and returns that in preference to the desired site
"news.bbc.co.uk". In this instance the fake DNS entry contains a redirect
to the site "http://www.guitarpunk.com/home/mosrite.htm"; which is an
advert for electric guitars.

As a user of the DNS I strongly object to the hijacking of the namespace
in this manner and request that the co.za domain administrators
immediately suspend the domain uk.co.za and that you prohibit any future
registrations of domains xx.co.za where xx is a valid top-level domain.

HTH,

Simon
--
Simon Lockhart                       |   Tel: +44 (0)1737 839676
Internet Engineering Manager         |   Fax: +44 (0)1737 839516