nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF multi-level hierarch: side question

From: Steve Meuse <smeuse () bbnplanet com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 02:58:52 -0400

At 03:33 PM 05/27/1999 -0700, Vadim Antonov wrote:

Tony Li <tony1 () home net> wrote:

I suspect that the main driver is not the amount of routing information
in the gross sense, but the scalability of the protocol as the number of
nodes increases.

There's a better solution: decrease the number of nodes by replacing
clusters with bigger boxes.  This has an additional advantage of reducing
number of hops (and, consequently, latency variance).

K.I.S.S. rulez :)

--vadim

Side question:

At what point do we stop aggregating customers onto a single box? The
technology exists now to have hundreds if not thousands of customers on a
signle box, but, Do we want that many?

-Steve