nanog mailing list archives

Re: OSPF multi-level hierarchy: Necessary at all?

From: "Alex P. Rudnev" <alex () Relcom EU net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 21:11:39 +0400 (MSD)

Yeah, in this case the sub-area 0.1.1's topology would be hidden
from the 0.1's routers and vice versa.

(moreobver, VL can't be used with CISCO's at all because CISCO
don't allow to control router-id directly and you can't build VL withouth

Well, you do know that you can create loopback interfaces and the router-ID
will be the highest one among them. Say you do:

int lo 0
 ip address 255.1.1.1
Hmm. Try yourself. Then, the quote from my config:
!
interface Loopback98
 description Router-ID
 ip address 223.255.254.118 255.255.255.255

I even proposed to declare 223.255/16 as private block -:).

Looks like doing the sex on the top of the tree - to make the life more
complex...

router ospf 111
router-id 1.2.3.4

Actually there is a DDTS on the wish-list, but it is still not implemented for
some reason, let's hope it will be....
I can imagine the ONLY reason for such SIMPLE thing... And it's in TODO
for a years - now everyone know the trick you showed above...

network and name his _AREA 1.2.3.4_ with the strict filtering on the
border.

I was thinking about it as well. One could configure some area range
as a "discard" one, effectively saying that all routes dropping into the
range should be ignored instead of announced in a summary-LSA.
I am not sure if it's the same what I was saying, but approx. it is. We
need good inter-area routing with the distribute-control over it. We can
control exported prefixes by -STUB AREA- definition and/or
summarisations, but we can't control incoming routes,

Btw, do you know _GATED_? It allow to control IMPORTED routes, but for
OSPF_ASE_ routes only. I don't think it's possible to control route
import anywhere except area borders (for the OSPF case), but why don't do
it on the area boundaries?

This is reason why ISP don't like OSPF and such protocols - they can be
used for the inter-router routing, but they can't be used to connect with
the customers (no, I can run 10 different OSPF processes and re-advertise
routes - one more headache for the network admins).

Actually, you can use NSSA, but doesn't allow for filtering either.
Sorry, what's NSSA?

PS. From ISP's point of view. What I'd like.

[snip: got your wish, Alex]

3) Moreover, why can't I determine different BGP AS numbers for the boths
ISP and CUST OSPF zones.

who said you can't ? or I'm missing something?
Yes, I can. But no one (except me) know about it -:).

I mean some mixturing of OSPF and BGP properties. They are mixtured
already - OSPF tag can hold 1 BGP paths. Through I don't think it's
important for now.

Alex.