nanog mailing list archives

Re: Solution: Re: Huge smurf attack

From: Ray Everett-Church <ray () well com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:38:08 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 14 Jan 1999, Joe  Shaw wrote:

But I'm not talking about catching the person who's initiating the
attacks, which is next to impossible if the amplifiers aren't willing or
able to help.   I'm concerned about the FBI possibly playing a part in
shutting down the amplifiers.  As the FBI agent who I talked with a week
ago said "We want to hear about any incident that happens because we do
trend tracking."  Lord knows if enough people reported large smurf attacks
they'd at least do something.

As I'm frequently reminded by my friends at DOJ's computer crimes
section, there's not a lot that most FBI field offices can or will do
without major damage shown.  Unless you count "trend tracking," I
guess.

--
Ray Everett-Church   |     Haley Bader & Potts, PLC <www.haleybp.com>
Attorney at Law      |  4350 N. Fairfax Dr. #900, Arlington, VA 22203