nanog mailing list archives

Re: Monitoring, Flow Stats (Re: spam whore, norcal-systems)

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 01:05:30 -0800

Here is something germane to this thread.

Date: Tue, 02 Feb 1999 19:42:43 -0500
From: "vinton g. cerf" <vcerf () MCI NET>
Subject: EC Directive on IP Addresses and Privacy
To: "ISOC Members Discussion" <isoc-members-discuss () lyris isoc org>

I thought this would interest you - these are NOT my words but
the words of the source of the message to me:

"Yesterday, I learned from a very well-placed U.S. Government source that
European law enforcement officials have told their American counterparts
that they interpret the E.C. Data Protection Directive as prohibiting
Internet service providers from maintaining records of users' IP
addresses unless necessary for service or billing.  This position indicates
that E.C. officials consider both dynamic and static IP addresses to be
subject to the Directive as "personal data'...relating to an...identifiable
natural person" under Article 2(a) of the Directive.  Therefore, it is
being interpreted that the European Directive prohibits the retention of
dynamic IP addresses even by an ISP unless it is used for billing purposes
(which is rarely the case).

If shared by others in the E.C., the position could have significant
implications for Internet business models."

See you at INET'99, San Jose, CA, June 22-25,1999
http://www.isoc.org/inet99/

Roeland M.J. Meyer -
e-mail:                                      mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone:                                hawk.lvrmr.mhsc.com
Personal web pages:             http://staff.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site:                           http://www.mhsc.com
                       KISS ... gotta love it!