nanog mailing list archives

Re: Large-datagram hop-by-hop delivery mechanism

From: Andrew Brown <twofsonet () graffiti com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 18:47:36 -0400

I like the idea of using email. Occasionally, though, an alternate
transport layer will be necessary, and I'd hope that the endpoints
wouldn't have to know too much about it.

Based on the email I've gotten, it looks like lots of people have tried
to solve this. Would anybody be interested in an informal working
group? Let me know, if so. If nothing else, I'd appreciate some review
of my draft specification.

i dunno about a working group, but i have done something with this
before in a production environment.  i had to set up a firm-wide data
collection mechanism (for a really large international company), stuff
the data in a database, and generate reports three times a day from it
(for tokyo, london, and new york offices).  a few people whined about
email ("it's not a production system"), but it worked just fine.  and
when my system went down one night, all the inbound data was queued
correctly "outside" and flowed in nicely when i fixed the problem.
email actually works much better than people think.

--
|-----< "CODE WARRIOR" >-----|
codewarrior () daemon org             * "ah!  i see you have the internet