nanog mailing list archives

Re: Your class 'B' address space

From: "Steven J. Sobol" <sjsobol () nacs net>
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 19:25:20 -0400

On Mon, Sep 28, 1998 at 11:14:31AM -0700, Mark Vickers wrote:
Let's add a little spice to you list...run it up the flag pole etc... but
please let's deal with this professionally with out to much flame!

My goal is to ensure the network meets the business objective of our
company, not simply to debug traffic etc. In order to do this I need
redundant connections to multiple ISP's, and a method for delivering delay
sensitive traffic in the most efficient way possible.
The above implies BGP.

You don't need a Class B. Period.

I'm sorry, I don't agree with your reasoning. If you need a large block,
why don't you consider getting a /19, which I think is the smallest block
most providers will advertise? I doubt you even need that much address space,
and I don't think your usage justifies even a /19. Let the people who need the
space, have the space.

template, so don't be to quick to grab for the high moral ground!! Finally,
I can appeal ARIN's decision, which I have already requested from IANA, and
was told to request an appeal from hostmaster () ARIN net. I'm still waiting
to here something.

What's the difference betweeen you, and your customers, many of whom are big
sites that need to route streaming audio and video on a time-critical basis?

They aren't going out and trying to get /16's, Mark. You want to do what
you're doing just so you can measure traffic. That's ridiculous.

I also wonder if there aren't free speech issues involved if US entities
start dropping traffic based on non technical factors?

Red herring. I don't think your technical situation merits a /16.

--

Anyone who spams me will be subject to torture by Jake,
my killer attack hedgehog, and/or Lizzy and Junior, my man-eating iguanas.