nanog mailing list archives

Re: [YA] Fwd: Class B Purchase

From: Karl Denninger <karl () mcs net>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 21:03:16 -0500

On Mon, Oct 05, 1998 at 02:59:36PM -0700, David R. Conrad wrote:
Karl,

They have all of the legal weight of a Jim Flem-o-gram.
Then so does ARIN's and the IANA's ability to control and delegate addresses.

No.  ARIN (et al) and the IANA have the ability to control/delegate
addresses because by and large, the people who use the Internet, in
particular, Internet service providers, mutually agree they have that
ability.

That's nice David.

What you're saying then is that any group of people can get together,
and effectively exert monopoly, oligopoly, or otherwise create control
structures in a cartel-like environment over the Internet.

Uh, no.  Not in the US anyway.

If you do not like these policies, your argument is
with the Internet service provider community, which strangely enough, now
is explicitly in a position to modify those policies.

Actually, no, they are not.  I believe that it is fair to say that the
majority of ISPs do not support these policies.

--
--
Karl Denninger (karl () denninger net) http://www.mcs.net/~karl