nanog mailing list archives

Re: Is the .to (Tonga) domain completely rogue and should be removed?

From: "Roeland M.J. Meyer" <rmeyer () mhsc com>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 23:51:57 -0700

At 06:41 PM 9/30/98 -0400, Steven J. Sobol wrote:
On Wed, Sep 30, 1998 at 05:22:57PM -0400, Barry Shein wrote:

If .com were used, for example, only for Slobbovian Universities, were
being managed by one to the exclusion of other uses, etc, then perhaps
it would be a good reason to consider decommissioning .com.

And if the .to domain is not in any way being used as a TLD for the
Kingdom of Tonga, but instead is being used only as a safe harbor for
what appear to be malicious activities, then perhaps it should be
decommissioned.

Is that simple enough?

I've already given you one example of a domain not used for porn.

Here's another one: bounce.to, another redirection service.

I'm sure I can find others.

Of course, according to you, the TLD is rogue unless there are absolutely
no bad apples.

By this logic, I can argue for UUNet to turn off their circuit to you
if I have solid proof of *ONE* of your customers spamming.

Yes, I know, your argument is that a majority of the domains are porn
domains (not that that, in itself, is hard evidence of criminal activity)
and are used to spam. Prove "a majority."

Actually, by his argument, the entire country of the Netherlands should be
arrested becasue the allow legal prostitution, a criminal  activity in
"white bread" New Hampshire.
Roeland M.J. Meyer, ISOC (InterNIC RM993)
e-mail: <mailto:rmeyer () mhsc com>rmeyer () mhsc com
Internet phone: hawk.mhsc.com
Personal web pages: <http://www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer>www.mhsc.com/~rmeyer
Company web-site: <http://www.mhsc.com/>www.mhsc.com/
I bet the human brain is a kludge.